Quick Search: Choose Model and Year, then enter search topic.
Electric shock, short circuit or fire
Touching conductive parts of the vehicle can lead to an electric shock. You can cause a short circuit when working on the vehicle's electrical system. The short circuit can cause a fire.
Fire or explosion
Many automotive fluids are highly flammable, e.g., fuel, engine or transmission oil. Fuel vapors can combust. A highly explosive electrolytic gas mixture can form when charging lead batteries.
Lead batteries contain highly caustic battery acid that can cause damage to the skin and clothing in the event of contact.
Risk of short circuiting, fire and damage to the alternator and electronic control units and components.
The 12-volt battery is located under a separate plastic cover under the luggage compartment floor.
E-Hybrid vehicles: The 12-volt battery is located in the luggage compartment behind the luggage compartment trim panel on the right-hand side of the vehicle.
Safety symbols on the battery
Consult the Manual
Wear protective goggles
Keep children away
Risk of explosion
A highly explosive electrolytic gas mixture can form when charging the battery, therefore:
Fire, sparks, naked flames and smoking are prohibited
Avoid sparking and short circuits when handling cables and electrical devices. In the case of batteries with central degassing, there is a higher concentration of explosive electrolytic gas at the hose opening. The degassing hose must not be twisted or clogged with dirt.
Risk of chemical burns
Battery acid is highly corrosive, therefore: protective gloves and goggles must be worn. Do not tilt the battery, as acid can escape from the degassing outlet.
If acid splashes into your eye, rinse immediately for a few minutes with clean water. Immediately seek medical attention from a doctor. If acid splashes onto your skin or clothing, neutralize immediately with soapsuds and rinse with plenty of water. If you accidentally drink acid, consult a doctor immediately.