Fitting snow chains
Using snow chains is not permitted if 1/5 in. (5 mm) spacers are fitted.
Different states and countries have varying statutory requirements regarding maximum speed.
Risk of damage to the wheel housings if the spacers are not removed before fitting snow chains.
Inscription on radial tire
A – Tire size
Example: P 265/40ZR18 (101Y)
– P - The tire is designed for Passenger vehicle.
This information is not included on all tires.
– 265 - Indication of tire width in mm
– 40 - Indication of tire height to tire width ratio in percent
– ZR - Belt type code letter for radial
– R - Belt type code letter for radial
– 18 - Indication of rim diameter in inches
– 101 - Load capacity coefficient
– Y - Speed code letter
– XL (Extra Load) - Tire with increased load rating
B – TIN (Tire Identification Number)
Example: DOT xx xx xxxx xxxx
The DOT symbol indicates that the tires comply with the requirements of the
US Department of Transportation and provides information about:
– first two-digit code means manufacture's identification mark.
– second two-digit code means tire size.