Manual: 2011/2012 Cayman
The airbags in combination with the safety belts make up a safety system which offers the driver and the passenger the greatest known protection from injuries in case of accident.
Your vehicle is equipped with a weight sensing system for the passenger's seat in accordance with U.S. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 208.
Even if your vehicle is equipped with airbags, the safety belts must be worn at all times, because the front airbag system is only deployed by frontal collisions with an impact of sufficient severity.
Below the deployment threshold of the airbag system, and during types of collisions which do not cause the actuation of the system, the safety belts provide the primary protection to the occupants when correctly worn.
Therefore, all persons within the vehicle must wear safety belts at all times (in many states, state law requires the use of safety belts).
- Please see the chapter "SAFETY BELTS" on page 42.
The front airbags are located under the padded steering wheel panel on the driver's side and, on the passenger's side, in the dashboard.
The side airbags are installed on the side in the seat backrests.
The head airbags are installed in the door linings.
To provide optimal occupant protection, airbags must inflate at very high speed. If you are not wearing your safety belt or are too close to the airbag when it is deployed, inflating airbags can result in serious personal injury or death.
- Make sure there are no people, animals or objects between the driver or passenger and the area into which the airbag inflates.
- Sit back as far from the dashboard or steering wheel as is practical, while still maintaining full vehicle control.
- Always hold the steering wheel by the outer rim. Never rest your hands on the airbag panel.
- Always fasten seat belts because triggering of the airbag system depends on the force and angle of impact.
- Do not transport heavy objects on or in front of the passenger's seat. These could impair the function of the airbag, the seat belts, and weight sensing.
- Do not hang objects (e.g. jackets, coats, coat hangers) over the backrest.
- Always keep the lid of the door storage compartment closed. Objects must not protrude out of the door storage compartment.
- No changes may be made to the wiring or components of the airbag system.
- Do not add any additional coverings or stickers to the steering wheel or in the area of the passenger airbag, side airbags and head airbags. Doing so may adversely affect the functioning of the airbag system or cause harm to the occupants if the airbag system should deploy. Do not use protective seat covers.
- Do not modify the seat coverings. Do not attach additional cushions, protective coverings, or pillows to the passenger's seat. Do not affix things to the passenger's seat or cover it with other materials. Do not cover the back of the backrest. Do not make changes to the passenger's seat and to the seat base frame.
- Do not undertake any wiring for electrical accessory equipment in the vicinity of the airbag wiring harnesses. Doing so may disable the airbag system or cause inadvertent inflation.
- If the warning light comes on, the airbag system should be repaired immediately by your authorized Porsche dealer.
- Always keep feet in the footwell while driving. Do not put feet on the dashboard or the seat area. Do not lean against the inside of the door or outside the window while the vehicle is moving.