Manual: 2011/2012 Cayman
The battery is located in the front luggage compartment under a black plastic cover.
- Please see the chapter "EMERGENCY OPERATION – PULLING OUT THE IGNITION KEY" on page 74.
- Please see the chapter "EMERGENCY UNLOCKING OF THE FRONT LUGGAGE COMPARTMENT LID" on page 238.
Risk of short circuit, fire and damage to alternator and electronic control units, resulting in serious personal injury or death.
- Observe all warning notes on the battery.
- Disconnect the negative terminal on the battery during all work on the electrical system.
- Do not lay tools or other metal objects on the battery as they could cause a short circuit across the battery terminal.
Hydrogen gas generated by the battery could cause an explosion, resulting in serious personal injury or death.
- Do not expose the battery to an open flame, electrical spark or a lit cigarette.
- Do not wipe battery with a dry cloth.
Risk of serious personal injury or death and damage to the fabric, metal or paint.
- Wear eye protection.
- Do not allow battery acid to come in contact with your skin, eyes, fabric or painted surfaces.
- If you get electrolyte, which is an acid, in your eyes or on your skin, immediately rinse with cold water for several minutes and call a doctor.
- Spilled electrolyte must be rinsed off at once with a solution of baking soda and water to neutralize the acid.
Battery posts, terminals and related accessories contain lead and lead compounds, chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and reproductive harm.
- Always protect your skin by washing thoroughly with soap and water.
Risk of explosion as a result of static charge, resulting in serious personal injury or death.
- Do not wipe the battery with a dry cloth.
- Eliminate potential electrostatic charge by touching the vehicle before touching the battery.
A well-charged battery prevents starting problems and has a longer service life.
Traffic density, requirements regarding noise, exhaust gas and fuel consumption reduce the engine speed and, hence, the alternator output.
However, the large number of electrical loads has markedly increased the demand for electrical power.
In order to avoid discharging the battery unintentionally:
- Switch off unnecessary electrical loads in city traffic, on short trips or in a line or traffic.
- Always remove the ignition key from the ignition switch when leaving the car.
- Avoid frequent operation of the Porsche Communication Management system and audio system when the engine is not running.
- In the cold season in particular or if the vehicle is used primarily for short journeys, it may be necessary to recharge the battery from time to time.