Manual: 2011/2012 Cayman
- Please see the chapter "EXERCISE EXTREME CAUTION WHEN WORKING ON YOUR VEHICLE" on page 186.
The cooling system is filled at the factory with a permanent coolant.
It provides year-round protection from corrosion and freezing down to –31 °F/–35 °C.
- Only use antifreeze authorized by Porsche.
Checking coolant level
The expansion tank with its filler orifice is located in the rear luggage compartment under the service flap.
- Check the coolant level regularly.
When the engine is cold and the car is level the fluid level must lie between the "MIN" and "MAX" markings.
Topping off coolant
Danger of serious personal injury or death from scalding. Coolant is hazardous to your health, and may be fatal if swallowed.
- Do not open the cap of the expansion tank while the engine is hot.
- Allow the engine to cool down before opening the cap and protect your hands, arms and face from any possible escape of hot coolant.
- Keep coolant out of children's reach.
- Also, keep coolant away from your pets.
They can be attracted to it should there be a spill, or to used coolant left in an open container. Coolant can be deadly to pets if consumed.
Risk of damage from overflowing coolant.
- Take care while topping off coolant not to soil the luggage compartment or items of luggage.
- Switch engine off and let it cool.
Please see the chapter "COOLING SYSTEM" on page 88.
- Press catch button on the service flap and open flap.
- Cover the expansion tank cap with a thick rag.
Open cap slowly and carefully and allow overpressure to escape.
Then unscrew cap completely.
- Only add a mixture of antifreeze and water in equal parts, and do not exceed the "Max." mark.
Antifreeze in coolant:
50% gives protection down to –31 °F/–35 °C
60% gives protection down to –58 °F/–50 °C
- Screw cap firmly on.
- Close service flap.