Manual: 2011/2012 Boxster
The battery is located in the front luggage compartment under a black plastic cover.
- Please see the chapter "EMERGENCY OPERATION – PULLING OUT THE IGNITION KEY" on page 58.
- Please see the chapter "EMERGENCY UNLOCKING OF THE FRONT LUGGAGE COMPARTMENT LID" on page 215.
- Observe all warning notes on the battery.
- Disconnect the negative terminal on the battery during all work on the electrical system.
- Do not lay tools or other metal objects on the battery as they could cause a short circuit across the battery terminal.
Battery Explosion Hazard
- Charge battery in a well vetilated area.
- Never charge a frozen battery. It may explode because of gas trapped in the ice. Allow a frozen battery to thaw out first.
- Do not expose the battery to an open flame, electrical spark or a lit cigarette, since they can ignite hydrogen gas from the battery.
- Do not wipe battery with a dry cloth.
- Before touching the battery, discharge any static electricity by touching the vehicle.
- After handling battery, always protect your skin and remove surface chemicals by washing thoroughly with soap and water.
Battery Acid and Electrolyte Exposure
- Wear eye protection
- Do not allow battery acid to come in contact with your skin or eyes.
- If you get electrolyte, which is an acid, in your eyes or on your skin, immediately rinse with cold water for several minutes and call a doctor.
Risk of damage to the fabric, metal or paint from battery acid or electrolyte.
- Do not allow battery acid to come in contact with fabric or painted surfaces.
- Spilled electrolyte must be rinsed off at once with a solution of baking soda and water to neutralize the acid.
A well-charged battery prevents starting problems and has a longer service life.
Traffic density, requirements regarding noise, exhaust gas and fuel consumption reduce the engine speed and, hence, the alternator output. However, the large number of electrical loads has markedly increased the demand for electrical power.
In order to avoid discharging the battery unintentionally:
- Switch off unnecessary electrical loads in city traffic, on short trips or in a line or traffic.
- Always remove the ignition key from the ignition switch when leaving the car.
- Avoid frequent operation of the convertible top and operation of the Porsche Communication Management system and audio system when the engine is not running.
- In the cold season in particular or if the vehicle is used primarily for short journeys, it may be necessary to recharge the battery from time to time.